Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Sad Day


 If you have read the last post you already know that my mother-in-law was diagnosed with late stage cancer in December. When she first called and told me that she was going into the hospital I debated on how to tell my husband since he rarely was able to call and never could check email. I wrestled with what to do for a few hours until it was determined that she was being admitted indefinitely. I made the decision to contact the Battalion Executive Officer. and see for where in the world they were. I knew they had started their turnover processes but I had no idea where they were or how soon they'd be ending their deployment and starting the long journey home. My second question for him was for the Red Cross number to have an emergency message sent.

My mother-in-law with our oldest, July 4th 2011.


 As I dialed the Red Cross I was questioning if it was the right decision or not. I knew they were SO close to being done but was I over reacting? 'Cause we all know that pregnant women NEVER overreact and have the emotional coolness of a Drill Instructor, right? The women who answered my call was very nice and told me that it depends on where he was but that he should get the message to call me in no more than 24 hours. I anxiously awaited the phone call all day, and finally at 2am my phone rang. It was my husband and my Red Cross phone call couldn't have been more perfectly timed. He was out of country and he and his Marines were heading to their next destination. I filled him in on what little information we had been given that day. He asked me if he needed to be on the next flight home and I told him I thought so but it was up to him and that I was going to be at the hospital first thing in the morning.

 I got to the hospital at 11am and my mother-in-law had settled into her room and was waiting for all the tests to begin. My phone rang with the usual funny number that shows up when my husband calls from a foreign country. The first thing he said was, "I don't have much time. My flight is leaving, I'll see you tomorrow morning, can you pick me up?" OF COURSE!!!!
My husband with his mom at our wedding in 2007.

I had less than 24 hours to get the house, myself and baby ready to welcome him home. It was a crazy, whirlwind time to say the least. We picked him up from the airport at 7am, came home so he could shower after 9 months in Afghanistan and let baby get a nap and have my dad come watch her so we could go up to the hospital. That extra 2 weeks home was priceless. Had he not come home just that little bit early, he wouldn't have gotten to spend that little bit of time with his mom.

She lost her battle about a month ago. We are so thankful for the time we had with her, and we know she is in Heaven. She was an amazing mother and teacher and she will be greatly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...