Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Thoughts, Fears & Pre-Deployment

 Just before my husband leaves for deployment is the worst. I hate having down time. To me, it gives my mind too much time to race around and settle on thoughts I don't want to think about. There is so much stress, but I think the most stressful part is before they go. The 'what if's' and all the unknowns. You never know when you'll get that first phone call from them after you see the bus or plane leave with your heart on board. Your phone becomes a part of you. Now you're the crazy girl who eats, sleeps, showers and pees with a cell phone attached to your side; but it's better than the alternative of missing that call. Then there's sleeping while they're gone. Sleep becomes that elusive animal that you only hear about in storybooks and fairy tails.

Helping pack the gear to keep them safe, the photos to make their tent a home away from home and the little notes you hide among the gear and uniforms to lift their spirits at unexpected times. There's also the other side to the pre-deployment craziness. I love sending my husband care packages! When else do you have an excuse to buy so many cards, jerky, miniature Christmas trees or an Easter basket for a grown man a Marine? I start my care packages before my husband even leaves. That way I can start sending them almost the day he leaves. While he's away doing pre-deployment training, I'm at Target and the like finding little things that will make the time go by faster (for us both). Need care package boxes and supplies? You can call 1-800-ASK-USPS and they will bring everything you need right to your doorstep. Does it get more convenient?!

So, here is to care packages, Hershey's kiss countdowns and a safe and fast deployment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...