Monday, August 16, 2010

USMC style Curve Balls

  This past Thursday my husband got home from being away for a month in the field. It was so great to see him and have him finally be able to see our baby girl crawl! He was only home for the weekend as he is off on more fun adventures with the Marine Corps for another 6 weeks. While he was home for this short time we had to make a little road trip. By little I mean it took 10 hours! Thank you L.A. traffic for detaining us for 4 hours and waisting gas. About 30 minutes into our road trip my husband got a phone call. You know it's Marine Corps related when every other word is "Sir". I sat there quietly, half trying to hear what was going on and half listening to our daughter babble in the back seat to her stuffed bunny. When my dear husband got off the phone and looked at me I knew I wasn't going to like it, and then came those four little words...."I'm deploying to Afghanistan."


  My heart sank. We were NOT expecting this as his company isn't slated to deploy for another two years. He tells me that the Command was so impressed with the job he did in the field over the past month they want him to move to another company and deploy with them. I'm so proud that my husband did such a wonderful job but the little devil on my shoulder makes me think "you couldn't have slacked off just a little?" But then, that wouldn't be my husband. I'm looking forward to the next few days when we'll get more information about this deployment and the pre-deployment schedule. I am not looking forward to having him gone over the next few weeks/months/year and missing so many moments with our daughter and myself, but I'm looking forward to sending him care packages, goodies and letters. Looking forward to the butterflies in my stomach feeling when I see that strange number and it's my husband calling me. Mostly, I'm looking forward to HOMECOMING.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...